Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Recipes I'm Loving this Week

Tuscan Chicken Skillet

The Wanderlust Kitchen
I adapted this recipe from The Wanderlust Kitchen. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to make it. Here is the recipe with my changes.

2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 lb chicken breast tenderloins
1 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
12oz mushrooms, sliced
2/3 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
basil for garnish

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat in a cast iron skillet. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove the chicken from pan.

2. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, and sundried tomatoes. Cook those puppies for about 1 minute and then add the mushrooms. 

3. When mushrooms start to cook down add the diced tomatoes and place the chicken back in the pan. Cook for another 5-6 minutes until the chicken is done and the sauce has thickened just a bit.

Enjoy because this stuff is good. The sundried tomatoes are what really make my mouth happy. I eliminated the cannelini beans that were in the original recipe because one of us doesn't like beans and substituted some of the spices for Italian seasoning since that is what I had on hand. Also a couple changes to the cooking method so check out the original recipe.

Homemade Garlic Knots


Not really the best picture ever but check these puppies out. They were so good and super easy. I found the recipe at The Recipe Critic. I was in charge of bring bread to dinner last night for my class and these were my choice.

Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups warm water
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. yeast
  • 3½ cups flour
  • 1 tsp Salt

Garlic spread:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive oil
1.  Mix warm water, sugar and yeast together.  Let that sit for 5 minutes.  
2. Add flour and salt to the water, sugar, and yeast.  Mix this until smooth and let it raise for 10 minutes.  I used my kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook and it was so easy and worked great!
3.  On a floured surface, roll your dough out about 1/2 inch thick.  I used a pizza cutter to cut the dough in half and then in strips (about 8-10 inches) for the garlic knots.  
4.  Roll the strips in your hands to look like ropes and then tie in knots.  
5.  Place the knots on a greased baking sheet and allow them to rise for another 10 minutes.
6.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  
7.  While they are baking melt the butter and mix with garlic powder, parsley, Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.  As soon as the garlic knots come out of the oven, brush the tops with the butter garlic mixture.  

The only thing I added to this recipe was the Parmesan cheese. Get the good stuff it makes them super delish. 

Pages